The College Council governs the College of Dietitians of Ontario and is responsible for establishing the policies, programs, and standards that regulate the profession of dietetics.
The job of the Council is to:
- regulate and support the dietetic profession in Ontario in keeping with the statutory duty and objects given in the RHPA; and
- govern the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- make, amend or revoke regulations as laid out in the Dietitians Act and the Regulated Health Professions Acts and as required by the Minister of Health;
- ensure the proper constitution of Committees/tribunals as required by legislation;
- identify quality standards;
- advocate for public policies to protect Ontarians against ineffective, unethical or unsafe dietetic practices;
- provide linkage with the people of Ontario;
- ensure appropriate evaluation of its regulatory work; and
- report annually to the Minister on its activities and financial affairs.
- act as the link between the College and the people of Ontario;
- write governing policies addressing the College Mission, regulatory obligations, strategic goals, outcomes and finances;
- oversee and monitor committee work;
- oversee College operations; and
- oversee and monitor the Registrar& Executive Director's performance against job description and accomplishment with respect to pre-determined indicators and executive limitations.
Council is composed of eight councillors who are Registered Dietitians elected by members of the College and seven public councillors appointed by order in Council as approved by the Provincial Cabinet. Together, they set the direction for the College's work and make decisions based on their mandate to operate in the best interest of the public.
The College President is the Chair of the Council and the Executive Committee. The President acts as a liaison between the Council and Staff.
The Executive Committee, composed of the President, Vice President and a third member, acts for Council between Council meetings. The committee members are nominated and elected from Council by the Council members at the annual general meeting.
The Registrar & Executive Director reports to Council and is responsible for managing the operations and affairs of the College.
Elections of Registered Dietitians to Council take place every year. Registered Dietitians who are in good standing with the College can be nominated and can vote in these elections.
RD participation is at the heart of being a self-governed profession and essential in assuring that professional standards and all related products and activities respond to dietetic practice today. Dietitians who are interested in becoming more involved in College initiatives are invited to contact the College to find out more about the nomination and election process.
The College by-laws are rules made under the authority of Council to regulate the internal affairs of the organization.