- Employer Responsibilities >
- General/Temporary Certificates
- Why Hire a Registered Dietitian
- Hiring from Outside Ontario
- Advertising RD Positions
- Professional Standards &
- Employer Resources
Employer Responsibilities under the RHPA
Duty to Cooperate with College Investigations
Investigating a Complaint or Report
The College will hire an investigator to investigate a complaint or report against a dietitian. The investigator will gather information such as clinical records or other relevant documents and will conduct interviews with the Complainant or the person who has made a report, witnesses and the dietitian to clarify issues.
Investigators have "all the powers of a commission under Part II of the Public Inquiries Act, which states,
- "No one can obstruct an investigator, withhold or conceal information relevant to an investigation". This means that investigators may enter and search a member's workplace at any reasonable time and, if necessary, may obtain a search warrant to search a place where information relevant to the investigation may be located. They have the authority to copy all documents or objects relevant to a case. If it is not possible to have copies, they may remove originals as evidence for the purposes of the investigation and return them at a later date. (RHPA 1991, c 18, Sched 2, s76 to 78)."